Saturday, October 31, 2015

Day 2: Swelling Increasing - Happy Halloween!

Woke up around 7AM and still felt no pain at all. Today mostly consisted of drinking Ensure, getting used to the syringe, and being on my medication schedule. I took many naps throughout the day because the entire syringe process is quite exhausting! I also wasn't that hungry so I was tired and full quickly. It's Halloween today and I had my Halloween face ready - hahaha.

Day 2 of Double Jaw SurgeryA bit more swollen today and I can open my lips just fine. You can see the rubber bands
to shut my jaw.

 So happy I had my dad here to help! He was so great looking after me and setting up my liquid foods, refilling each time I was done, and then making sure my medicine was adhered to.
 
My dad syringing strawberry-flavored Ensure for breakfast.

Medications
So my medications are as follows and may be different from you:
  • chlorhexidine topical - 15 mL - taken 3x a day
    • It's a mouth wash to prevent bacteria in the mouth and it's refreshing. I took it after each breakfast/lunch/dinner meal by swishing it in my mouth for 30 secs and then spat it out.
  • clindamycin - 20 mL - taken 4x a day
    • It's an antibiotic to fight bacteria. I took it when I woke up, after breakfast/lunch/dinner.
  • methylPREDNISolone - dosage pill pack
    • These were the worst! They're a steroid to prevent inflammation. But they came in tablet form! I thought it was supposed to be all liquid. The dosage decreased 1 pill each day from Day 1 of 7 pills to Day 6 of 1 pill. Due to it being a tablet, we had to crush it up with a spoon and mix it with water to be injected into the syringe. The taste was gawd-awful! Can't wait to be done with this.
  • Zofran - helps alleviate nauseau - NEVER NEEDED TO TAKE IT
  • oxyCODONE liquid - to alleviate pain - NEVER NEEDED TO TAKE IT

Bath Time
I took my first bath today to get the hospital funk off me. I had a friend help bathe me, because it would have been weird for my dad to, at least for me. We just filled up the tub with water and poured some of the anti-bacterial Dial into the tub which bubbled up nice and smelled fresh. IT FELT AMAZING!!! I didn't want to leave the tub. haha. I poured water over my hair too to wash that. To clean my face, I used a wash cloth to gently cleanse it. I didn't want to douse my face with water, especially with my sutures on my cheeks and my stitch on my lip. I plan on bathing every day to feel amazing hahaha.

Symptoms
I mostly felt exhausted still today. Talking wasn't a problem and no pain.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Tina I had no idea this was happening. I think it's great that you're documenting this process. It will be great for you to look back and see all that you've made it through. Keep blogging your journey. I'll be praying for your smooth recovery!

    -Christina (Carter) Clark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! This is definitely keeping me busy and if this helps another person go through their surgery, then what else can I ask for. Other blogs have helped me see what to expect. Thank you for your prayers!! I truly believe they've helped me recover so well.

      Delete